Hyperion and Theia seeks to publish quality fiction, poetry, and art that shines above all else. H&T wants stories and poems that strive towards excellence and beauty. Works that are clever, diverse, and dazzling are well received here.
December 1st, 2017 – January 31st, 2018 11:59 EST
Anything submitted outside of this window will be deleted unread. Artists and photographers can submit year round.
Year Two: Rebus 
ISBN-13: Coming Soon
ISBN-10: Coming Soon
a puzzle in which words are represented by combinations of pictures and individual letters; for instance, apex might be represented by a picture of an ape followed by a letter X.
an ornamental device associated with a person to whose name it punningly alludes.
Language offers up a whole new world if one can decipher the many meanings hidden within a word. Year Two of Hyperion and Theia wants stories and poetry that runs the gamut of genres and offers to the reader a rebus of sorts, filled with cryptic messages. Submit a sci-fi caper featuring humanity thwarting an alien invader with the use of signs and symbols. Dazzle us with a comedic horror in which communication with the dead takes on a whole new meaning. Deadline January 31st, 2018 11:59 EST.
Year Three: Astrology 
the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial bodies interpreted as having an influence on human affairs and the natural world. Book of Nature.
synonyms: horoscopy; horoscopes
Year Four: Arcadia 
ɑrˈkeɪ di ə/
A mountainous district in the Peloponnese of southern Greece. In poetic fantasy it represents a pastoral paradise and in Greek mythology it is the home of Pan.
nouna propitious moment or supreme moment for decision or action.synonyms: Kronos (m
RIGHTS SOUGHT FOR ART & PHOTOGRAPHY
- Ability to use the art for promotional purposes
- Non-exclusive electronic and print reprint rights
- The option to archive the work online with links to the photographer’s and artist’s galleries
RIGHTS SOUGHT FOR FICTION & POETRY
- Copyright remains with the author at all times
- Non-exclusive archival rights as long as the website(s) hosting the work are online
- First world electronic and print rights in English with exclusivity for 6 months from the date of publication
- A percentage of 60% of the net eBook royalties for the first month of sales (30 consecutive days), if greater than $1.00USD for each contributor
- If your story is selected to be podcast and approved in the future, or an audiobook is produced, payment is $0.01USD per word for non-exclusive electronic audio rights
Please query if anything listed is of concern. Here is a good explanation of what this entails.
LENGTH & GUIDELINES
COVER ART: To be used in the electronic and print editions, can be art or photography, and is usually solicited.
ARTWORK: Usually solicited. Payment dependent on the artist.
POETRY: Up to 100 lines. Paid $0.25USD a line.
SHORT STORIES: 1001 to 7,499 words. Paid $0.01USD per word.
NOVELETTE: 7,500 to 17,499 words. Paid $0.01USD per word.
NOVELLA: 17,500 to 40,000 words. Paid $0.01USD per word.
SPOTLIGHT SHORT STORY: 1001 to 1500 words. One story involving two crowns (real or figurative, masculine and feminine, or something else altogether) as a central element alongside the main theme of the year. Paid $0.02USD or $0.03USD per word.
All payments made through PayPal. Please note that these are not professional rates. Fiction can only be resold as a reprint after publication. Decide if you want to take this payment scheme or submit to another market.
- Poorly formatted and edited work
- Overtly racist, sexist, violent, etc. works without adding value overall
- Works above the word counts and/or untitled (especially for short stories, novelettes, and novellas)
- Fanfiction of any kind
- Excerpts out of a novel
- Taboo elements (rape in all forms, incest, pedophilia, etc.) in almost all cases
- Pushing the boundaries of genre and form
- People of Color, disabled people, women, LGBTQIA, and other marginalized groups at the forefront
- Dieselpunk, Solarpunk, Weird Westerns, Cyberpunk, Magic Realism, Gothic Horror, Retrofuturism, Afrofuturism, Wuxia, Romantic Suspense, Historical, Capers, Gothic Romance, Neo-/Noir, and lesser known sub-genres
- Through HeyPublisher
- Through Green Submissions
- Via email (preferred): subs [at] hyperionandtheia.com
- The subject line for art and photography should read HTSUBMISSION(Art) or HTSUBMISSION(Photos)
- The subject line should read HTSUBMISSION: CATEGORY : TITLE (WORD or LINE COUNT) ex). HTSUBMISSION: SHORT STORIES: Super Story (1001)
- A short cover letter is required. Please include your legal name, pen name (if relevant), contact information, recent publications/awards (if any), and a bio of 50-150 words. A photo of you is required
- Submissions should be attached in the email as a .rtf, .doc or .docx
- Artists and photographers should send a link to their online gallery as well and/or the piece as a .PNG or .JPEG
- Shunn’s manuscript style for fiction and poetry is required (double-spaced, 12 pt standard font, page numbers, etc.)
- Reprints encouraged!
- Translations into English are welcome
- Flash between 100-1000 words can be submitted but, we’re mainly looking for longer pieces
- Only one submission in the same category allowed for fiction. I will be more lenient with shorter poetry
- Simultaneous submissions to other markets are accepted! Alert H&T immediately should your work be accepted somewhere else (congrats in advance!)
Currently around two months after submitting. Do not query before then. We do not send out notification that the piece has been received, only when it is accepted or rejected. We will try to answer all submissions with an acceptance or rejection letter.
Any personal information collected (including but not limited to your name, address, email, social media links, and pen name) is held in strict confidence and not shared with anyone else unless compelled by law or in the event threats are leveled against the staff.
If a third party contacts H&T interested in an author’s or artist’s work, the author/artist will be contacted first to ask permission to share details.
By sending us your work you understand and agree that:
- You are the original creator and copyright holder of the work submitted;
- You are not prohibited by any prior agreement from the transfer of exclusive electronic & print rights in English, first world translation rights into English, reprint rights, and/or non-exclusive audio rights to the work;
- All information submitted is accurate and truthful; and
- You accept sole responsibility for any false statements upon rights not disclosed.
If you are under the age of 18, your parent or guardian will sign your contract and accept your payment on your behalf. Finally, if accepted here and then republished, you are required to add the volume you were published in.
TRACK YOUR SUBMISSION
LAST UPDATED: September 5th, 2017